[Nottingham] Virtualisation security

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Wed Nov 2 14:37:08 UTC 2011

On 1 November 2011 22:36, Sergiusz Pawlowicz <sergiusz at pawlowicz.name> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 22:31, Martin <martin at ml1.co.uk> wrote:
>> Folks,
>>
>> Can anyone comment on the state of play/gotchas for the security for
>> running multiple virtual servers?
>>
>> Any concerns for the security/vulnerability of the hypervisor?...
>>

>> (Anyone like to give a talk on virtualisation? ;-) )
>
> virtualisation has several layers :-) ...

I'd 'forgot' (overlooked) that in that I'm juggling security, storage,
and the possibility of load balancing and fault tolerance. I'm also
considering reducing the number of physical servers, for the sake of
physical space and power.

However... The present setup that I look after has a very physical
demarcation of what is to be kept 'secure' and others that are of less
concern.

So I'm juggling a few ideas. Having a system image that can be thrown
around physical boxes looks to be really nice apart from the expense
of accessing multiple TBytes of data...

Sergiusz, or Jason, or both,

Are you happy to give a talk covering your respective experiences?
(Offlist discuss if you wish?)