[Nottingham] A second wireless router, a switch or something else?

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Tue Nov 8 14:49:58 UTC 2011

Jason,

On 8 November 2011 00:51, Jason Irwin <jasonirwin73 at gmail.com> wrote:
> So I've got this new mini-server and that makes number 5 on my network.
>  Guess how many Ethernet ports a VirginMedia SuperHub has?  Yup - 4.  So
> I think my options are:
> 1) Buy a second WiFi router with more than 4 ports and throw the
> SuperHub into modem-mode...

Good idea if you might exhaust its very limited NAT table...

> 2) Buy a network switch (standard Netgear 8-port jobbie, or similar)...

Easiest, obvious, but watch out for the SuperHub gotcha!

> 3) Something else?

USB WiFi dongles are very cheap and easy, but only good if you can
guarantee a good signal and no interference.

> I'm also kicking around the idea of VPN, OwnCloud and a few other
> things.  Hmm...VPN and networking dunce; a winning combination!

VPNs are fine provided you treat them with due circumspect suspicion.

> It will also be interesting to see how hard it is to convince the Virgin
> engineer to move the cable box from its current, idiotic location.

Usually, the box is placed for their contractor's convenience of a
very fast install...

> And that reminds me, how hard is it to roll yer own cables?  I think
> it'll be easier to buy a reel and knock my own up, rather than play
> "guess how for from the store room to the office".

Easy with due care... They just use N-type connectors that are crimped
onto the cable screen. BEWARE: Whether and where you have a non-return
splitter fitted or if you even might have a 3db attenuator fitted. No
harsh sharp bends! Get it very wrong and you'll get a visit to see why
your cabinet has been brought down... (Just make sure about the
non-return/antireflection device if fitted.) Also a good idea to make
sure everything survives the weather, frost, damp and stays dry...

> Note: Amazon have those Seagate 2TBs back in, but they're one per customer.

It will be interesting to see how the floods damage develops...