[Nottingham] Linux number of forwarded net connections limit

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Wed Oct 12 12:22:16 UTC 2011

On 12 October 2011 13:04, Sergiusz Pawlowicz <sergiusz at pawlowicz.name> wrote:
> i had the same problem with my very virgin super-duper-hub. the only
> way to solve it, is to set it in a modem mode, and do the nat-ing on a
> proper device, eg. linksys dd-wrt.

Which is a shame to lose all the other 'super' functionality on it,
especially the wireless and 4 port switch. Do you know if they have a
firmware update to fix the (assumed) very limited NAT table size
problem? Or might there even be a bug in there where it never closes
connections?...

Aside: For anyone suffering ssh through a VirginMedia Superhub, a fix
I've discovered on my travels that avoids randomly losing ssh
connections is to use:

ssh -C -o ServerAliveInterval=9

...or to use the thing just as a dumb modem. Shame really since
VirginMedia look to have gone to some effort to put together a
reasonably priced sexy piece of kit for DOCSIS3 speeds suitable for
everyone from plug'n'play home users all the way up to superusers...