[Nottingham] Linux number of forwarded net connections limit

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Wed Oct 12 12:46:13 UTC 2011

On 12 October 2011 13:31, Jason Irwin <jasonirwin73 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/10/11 13:22, Martin wrote:
>> Do you know if they have a
>> firmware update to fix the (assumed) very limited NAT table size
>> problem?
>
> What version of the firmware are you running?  V5.5.2R30 is that latest
> and has a "Modem Mode" in the bottom left panel.

Yep R30.

> Just wondering as I can't say I've noticed any major issues (yet), I
> could try and hammer mine and see what happens.

Already lost too much time with it to dare take it out of modem mode!

> I wonder if it can be flashed with a custom firmware?

That has flashed through my mind... Anyone? ;-)

>> ...or to use the thing just as a dumb modem. Shame really since
>> VirginMedia look to have gone to some effort to put together a
>> reasonably priced sexy piece of kit for DOCSIS3 speeds suitable for
>> everyone from plug'n'play home users all the way up to superusers...
>
> I will confess to being spectacularly ignorant of networking and about
> the only "super" thing I've noticed about the Virgin SuperHub is the
> impenetrable dross in the right-pane that is meant to server as "help".

Not noticed any 'help'. There is an awful lot of noise on the support forums...

The DOCSIS3 was released in 2006 to support IPv6 and higher data
rates. VirginMedia are promising 1.5Gb/s with it and are supposed to
be trailing it somewhere now.