[Nottingham] Linux number of forwarded net connections limit

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Wed Oct 12 13:11:14 UTC 2011

On 12 October 2011 14:03, Martin <martin at ml1.co.uk> wrote:
>> ... A cheapie ISP piggy-backed on BT lines.
>
>> service?... And then there are still the unreliable vagaries of
>> ADSL... (Should never have been allowed! :-( )
>
> I just wonder if part of the problem might be that the uplink is
> getting choked...
>
> There's still the problem for the modem-router thing crashing as soon
> as a torrent hits it... (Not my teenager, honest!)
>

> So... I can traffic manage it with "tc", but how also to restrict the
> max number of connections so that a torrent doesn't bring down the
> link?...

Just to give the rest of the picture...

This is down in deepest darkest Wales so I'm hoping to use a two port
box (Sheeva?...) that I can just post over preprogrammed to give a
plug'n'play solution.

Or are there ADSL modem-routers that have QoS on BOTH the uplink and
downlink that actually works, and can survive a torrent?