[Nottingham] Virgin Media Player

Jason Irwin jasonirwin73 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 08:28:33 UTC 2012

Confirmed: Because Sky Anytime could not be made to work with GNU/Liunx
(something about DRM) they have blocked all Linuxes (Linuxii?) from the
player site (and that includes Android).

My mind boggles...why block when they could have just put a note in the
FAQ that Sky Anytime doesn't work?
Irony 1:  Virgin Media is an Ubuntu mirror
Irony 2:  Virgin Media sells Android devices (which they then block)
Irony 3:  Virgin Media's own set top box is Liunx-based (BusyBox)

And it was the same excuse as Parcel Farce (I paraphrase) "We couldn't
guarantee that it would work, so we blocked".  FFS.  Really?

I can fake my user agent easily enough, but the authentication/player
set-up chokes later.  Maybe once I have this printer stuff nailed I look
into by-passing the block more efficiently with a Greasemonkey script or
something.  Not been having much joy under WINE.

To say I am pissed with them just now is an understatement.  I would
consider leaving, but due to the deal I get it still works out better to
stay with VM.

--
Jason Irwin