[Nottingham] Lightweight GNU Linux Suggestions

Richard Smedley smedley358 at btinternet.com
Tue Apr 10 11:10:49 UTC 2012

On 07/04/12 19:01, Kurtis Brown wrote:
> After certain annoying circumstances, some crack addict robbing my house, I
> am having to use a old Celeron laptop with 512mb ram. I have tried Damn
> Small Linux (too slow) Crunch Bang (just didn't like it).
> What would be other peoples choice of lightweight distros? I am used to
> having Mint 10 as my usual operating system.

For the first three months of this year I was reliant on
an old Pentium IV with 512MB RAM. It's been running alpha
versions of Ubuntu 12.04, with the XMonad desktop - as long
as I didn't have too many browser tabs open, and avoided most
use of Flash it was fine.

(I upped it to 2GB last week, now it's flying ;)

It will run a GNOME desktop if you need it, but XMonad
really is the best window manager out there :-)

  - Richard