[Nottingham] gnome-3

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Fri Apr 27 12:58:53 UTC 2012

A good rant and a good example of how computers can gobble up a full
day, and all for no apparent progress!

On 27/04/12 13:30, Camilo Mesias wrote:
> Interesting rant... I wonder what use cases you have, other than
> changing the splash screens. What do you need to do that you can't do
> with Gnome3? I get on OK with it, but admittedly I can do 99% of what
> I want with a terminal and/or web browser.

All this GUI stuff is nice for some applications such as web browsing,
but I too tend to spend most of my computing time on the command line.
Even if I'm not on the command line, often I'm in effect just juggling
text around.

A good GUI can make the text juggling superficially look pretty or
pretty impressive ;-)

> A small amount of searching reveals that you can re-enable the desktop
> (and do lots of other 'tweaks'). This is a new way of working though,
> so the things you have to do are not the same as what you are used to.

And most people are adverse to change or to learning new things.

> In general I can agree that things look like they are being closed off
> and tied down. Things seem less documented than they used to be, or
[---]

And most people seem to be bewildered by choice and flexibility.

Perhaps the main desktops shouldn't try to compete against the
proprietary corporate examples?

Or perhaps we need a toggle switch to select between (a) open source
bewildering choice and flexibility or (b) the corporate look-alike
plastic lock-down look.

But then... Are there not desktops and whole distros that are being put
together to replicate/emulate the corporate look and ways for the
unknowing masses?...

> Still I don't think Gnome3 is a disaster, it's different, certainly
> unappreciated by many. I find it OK. At work I used XFCE and that's OK
> too.

I think its good to explore and try new ways of doing things.

Its also good to be able to make positive comment.

-    Martin Lomas    - OpenPGP (GPG/PGP) Public Key: 0xCEE1D3B7
- martin @ ml1 co uk - Import from   hkp://subkeys.pgp.net   or
- ------------------ - http:// ml1 .co .uk/martin_ml1_co_uk.gpg