[Nottingham] gnome-3

david at gbenet.com david at gbenet.com
Fri Apr 27 13:33:36 UTC 2012

On 27/04/12 13:58, Martin wrote:
> A good rant and a good example of how computers can gobble up a full day, and all for
> no apparent progress!

So true Martin! I finished with my opensuse 1.2 at 1 am! I had a headache back ache and
bum ache - and no girlfriend to give me a good rub!! Ah the weekend will soon be here!!

> On 27/04/12 13:30, Camilo Mesias wrote:
>> Interesting rant... I wonder what use cases you have, other than changing the splash
>> screens. What do you need to do that you can't do with Gnome3? I get on OK with it,
>> but admittedly I can do 99% of what I want with a terminal and/or web browser.
>
> All this GUI stuff is nice for some applications such as web browsing, but I too tend
> to spend most of my computing time on the command line. Even if I'm not on the command
> line, often I'm in effect just juggling text around.
>
> A good GUI can make the text juggling superficially look pretty or pretty impressive
> ;-)

I  well remember my days with DOS-3 Dr-Dos and was quite happy at the command prompt.

>> A small amount of searching reveals that you can re-enable the desktop (and do lots
>> of other 'tweaks'). This is a new way of working though, so the things you have to do
>> are not the same as what you are used to.
>
> And most people are adverse to change or to learning new things.
>

>> In general I can agree that things look like they are being closed off and tied down.
>> Things seem less documented than they used to be, or
> [---]
>
> And most people seem to be bewildered by choice and flexibility.
>
> Perhaps the main desktops shouldn't try to compete against the proprietary corporate
> examples?
>
> Or perhaps we need a toggle switch to select between (a) open source bewildering choice
> and flexibility or (b) the corporate look-alike plastic lock-down look.
>
> But then... Are there not desktops and whole distros that are being put together to
> replicate/emulate the corporate look and ways for the unknowing masses?...
>

>> Still I don't think Gnome3 is a disaster, it's different, certainly unappreciated by
>> many. I find it OK. At work I used XFCE and that's OK too.
>
> I think its good to explore and try new ways of doing things.
>
> Its also good to be able to make positive comment.
>

> Cheers, Martin

Cheers

David - who's now about to burn 2 DVDs

- --
“See the sanity of the man! No gods, no angels, no demons, no body. Nothing of the
kind.Stern, sane,every brain-cell perfect and complete even at the moment of death. No
delusion.” https://linuxcounter.net/user/512854.html