[Nottingham] gnome-3

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Fri Apr 27 13:53:50 UTC 2012

On 27/04/12 14:33, david at gbenet.com wrote:
> On 27/04/12 13:58, Martin wrote:
>> A good rant and a good example of how computers can gobble up a
>> full day, and all for no apparent progress!
>
> So true Martin! I finished with my opensuse 1.2 at 1 am! I had a
> headache back ache and bum ache - and no girlfriend to ...

Hey! Steady on! :-)

> David - who's now about to burn 2 DVDs

I moved onto using USB memory sticks some time ago. The good distros
now make their iso files compatible for both CD/DVD and directly for
memory sticks.

Instead of burning a CD or DVD, you /should/ be able to do (as root):

dd if=whatever.iso of=/dev/sdX bs=4M

where /dev/sdX is your USB memory stick AND it is NOT mounted. The
"bs=4M" speeds things up a bit and should avoid read-modify-write wear
on most memory sticks. Best wait for a "sync" to finish and make sure
the activity light has stopped blinking before removal.

Out of paranoia, I also do a "cmp -l" to make sure the data has been
written ok.

Err... Get a more comfortable chair, or move around a bit more? I can
recommend an brief intense game of SuperTuxKarts to aid your
circulation and reduce any aches ;-)

-    Martin Lomas    - OpenPGP (GPG/PGP) Public Key: 0xCEE1D3B7
- martin @ ml1 co uk - Import from   hkp://subkeys.pgp.net   or
- ------------------ - http:// ml1 .co .uk/martin_ml1_co_uk.gpg