[Nottingham] Oh how I laughed

Joshua Lock incandescant at gmail.com
Sun Dec 2 19:31:02 UTC 2012

On 2 December 2012 11:13, Jason Irwin <jasonirwin73 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2 December 2012 17:44, Joshua Lock <incandescant at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> In seriousness, if the lack of an alternate installer is a genuine
>> regression for you then you should file a bug.
>
> After the magic on/off USB port grief, it really was icing on the cake.  I
> know just enough to be dangerous, so when I see something odd like
> partitions not being recognised as I expect I spend most of my time making
> sure it's not me being an idiot.  Again.

Believe me, I understand.

I'm fortunate enough to work on open source software for a living and
a hobby, but I don't have very thick skin and find the often insulting
and aggressive complaints get to me at times. Usually this results in
me gnashing my teeth at emails for a weeks and then unloading on
someone. Mea culpa.

>> My first response to any rant aimed at me is "did you file a bug report".
>
> Wait, you're saying it's all your fault!?  (kidding)

What I'm saying is that I'm an advocate of good open source
citizenship. We get all of this (generally) high quality software for
free, the least we can do is try and help make it better by filing bug
reports for any issues we run into and trying to work with the
developers to make it the software better.

I have several colleagues who no longer complain about faulty software
to me unless they've done their homework first, unless they're asking
me if I'm aware of the issue and a solution or workaround. Sometimes
they start to complain and then correct themselves with "I should file
a bug, right?".

> 12.04 is in now.  Got the same issues with surround sound as before, but
> they're simple to fix.  Or they were when I did it.  Did I write the steps
> down?  Did I heck.  Two-years-ago-me was a lazy sod who needs a good talking
> to.
>
> When I sort it this time I'll bug it on the LUG site.  Promise.

My olive branch is that I'll endeavour to try and drink coffee before
I respond to any emails of a morning.

Joshua Lock
Former NLUG regular living on the West Coast of the US