[Nottingham] Ubuntu + Amazon

Jason Irwin jasonirwin73 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 09:33:03 UTC 2012

On 11/12/12 23:37, Martin wrote:
> Ubuntu Community Manager apologises to Stallman
> http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Ubuntu-Community-Manager-apologises-to-Stallman-1765674.html
My third link went to his apology, dear chap. :)

> To my view, good responses from rms and Jono.
> Suspiciously a non-response from Canonical...
Err...not really.  I just think corporate PR types know better than to
wade into a community shit-storm.  Anything they could say would be spun
as wrong, so best to keep their mouths shut.

> I fully agree with their money-spinning but not when losing trust and
> freedom for the users and community.
As consumers we don't want freedom, we want convenience.  In order to
sell you have to give us what we want, even if that is a "Bad
Thing"(tm).  Hence why Apple is doing so well.  Us geeks just happen to
care more about IT than, say, cars and so freedom moves higher up our
list, possibly above convenience.  We are not typical IT consumers.

On a car I will care if I can change a bulb*/tyre at the road-side; but
I don't care if I can't strip the engine at home; that's what I pay a
mechanic for.

--
Jason Irwin
*<rant>Why do they make that so hard?  Part of type-approval should be