[Nottingham] Who wants some Pi?

Jason Irwin jasonirwin73 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 08:50:57 UTC 2012

On 27/02/12 23:03, Eben Till wrote:
> I always thought they were catering to England first :(
Ach, yeh big, Southern, shandy-drinking jessie. :P
I dinnae think it's tha' bad.  0600 in the UK, 0700 Europe,
2300/0000-ish over the USA.
A fairly decent time to capture the Western hemisphere, their main
initial market, and getting the most punters ensures they shift the lot,
make some profit and guarantee the next runs.

If you want to stick the boot into someone for not catering to the UK,
then point your ire at Westminster.  Their crazy tax rules are part of
the reason that manufacture got shifted to Tawiwan/China:
	"I’d like to draw attention to one cost in particular that really
created problems for us in Britain. Simply put, if we build the
Raspberry Pi in Britain, we have to pay a lot more tax. If a British
company imports components, it has to pay tax on those (and most
components are not made in the UK). If, however, a completed device is
made abroad and imported into the UK – with all of those components
soldered onto it – it does not attract any import duty at all. This
means that it’s really, really tax inefficient for an electronics
company to do its manufacturing in Britain, and it’s one of the reasons
that so much of our manufacturing goes overseas. Right now, the way
things stand means that a company doing its manufacturing abroad,
depriving the UK economy, gets a tax break. It’s an absolutely mad way
for the Inland Revenue to be running things, and it’s an issue we’ve
taken up with the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills."
(Source: http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/509)

> 6am isn't really a good time, I'm sure the family will be super happy
> when I'm bashing away on my Model M replica first thing.
My understanding is that "Ride of the Valkyries" played at 11 boosts
Internet speeds. :)

And there's that KDE-running tablet coming out (Spark?).  Their
pre-orders are full AIUI, but that could mean a future for it too.

--
Jason Irwin
ps. I just discovered that Thunderbird can thread email messages.