[Nottingham] Who wants some Pi?

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Tue Feb 28 15:14:01 UTC 2012

On 28/02/12 08:50, Jason Irwin wrote:
[---]

Yes we do have some rather irksome outdated bureaucratic silliness that
is getting ever further behind modern times all to the cost of us all...

[---]

>> 6am isn't really a good time, I'm sure the family will be super happy
>> when I'm bashing away on my Model M replica first thing.

Can we make it an NLUG event? ;-)

A RaspberryPi at Dawn!
http://nlug.ml1.co.uk/event/a-raspberrypi-at-dawn

> My understanding is that "Ride of the Valkyries" played at 11 boosts
> Internet speeds. :)

Really? There's an excellent youtube of that really upsetting the
Japanese whalers one year as they were sailing out of the Antarctic
whale sanctuary...

> And there's that KDE-running tablet coming out (Spark?).  Their
> pre-orders are full AIUI, but that could mean a future for it too.

Not heard of that one.

As a comparison to the RasPi, there is such as:

Sumvision Cyclone 7" Android 2.3 Capacitive Touch Tablet 4GB Internal
Storage 1.2GB CPU
http://www.saverstore.com/product/20216830/Sumvision-Cyclone-7-Android-23-Capacitive-Touch-Tablet-4GB-Internal-Storage-12GB-CPU-

£95.99 inc VAT

Shame the sales droids know nothing of their GBytes and GHertz...

But note the spec... About twice that of the RasPi, all with a touch
screen and WiFi, and at only x3 to x4 the price. Not quite the same
level of inexpensive, and not quite as flexible, but also not that far
off...

Good luck to all at dawn!

martin at ml1.co.uk