[Nottingham] Who wants some Pi?

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Wed Feb 29 06:42:18 UTC 2012

So...

Who's for a Raspberry?

0550:

http://www.raspberrypi.com/ shows:

Down for Maintenance
This store is currently unavailable. Please visit our main website at
www.raspberrypi.org.

And http://www.raspberrypi.org/ doesn't respond...

0556:

http://www.raspberrypi.com/ shows:

502 Bad Gateway
nginx

And http://www.raspberrypi.org/ gives "The connection was reset"

0559:

http://www.raspberrypi.com/ shows:

Down for Maintenance
This store is currently unavailable. Please visit our main website at
www.raspberrypi.org.

And http://www.raspberrypi.org/ doesn't respond...

0601:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/ gives:

The Raspberry Pi Launch

We've temporarily changed to a static site, while we're experiencing a
very high level of traffic for the launch of the Raspberry Pi. The full
site will return once traffic levels have subsided, hopefully later on
today. ...

Although we are still waiting for units to arrive from China, you can
start buying the Raspberry Pi today. We have entered into licensed
manufacture partnerships with two British companies, Premier Farnell and
RS Components. They’ll be manufacturing and distributing the devices on
behalf of the Raspberry Pi Foundation, and handling the distribution of
our first batches as they arrive in the country. The Foundation
continues to make a small profit from each Raspberry Pi sold, which
we’ll be putting straight back into the charity. ...

And then:

0602:

http://uk.rs-online.com gives:

Register here to express an interest in Raspberry Pi
Raspberry Pi SBC

http://uk.farnell.com/ gives only a "The connection was reset"

0625 (approx):

http://uk.rs-online.com gives: "The connection has timed out"

http://uk.farnell.com/ gives only a "The connection was reset"

0630:

http://uk.rs-online.com gives: "The connection has timed out"

http://uk.farnell.com/ gives:

Site unavailable

Our websites are currently unavailable whilst we perform a scheduled
system upgrade. ...

With that, I'll let the rest of the world battle it out...

Looks like a friendly DDoS is in progress!...

Even though the first Raspberry Pi boards are not immediately available,
the "licensed manufacture" means we should see a much more rapid ramp-up
of Raspberry Pi availability. Also, the people making it all work can
concentrate undisturbed on their next moves rather than be distracted by
logistics issues.

I managed to register my "interest in Raspberry Pi Raspberry Pi SBC" at
the RS site before it became swamped.

And the Raspberry Pi talk is still a TBA :-(

martin at ml1.co.uk