[Nottingham] Who wants some Pi?

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Tue Feb 28 19:05:43 UTC 2012

On 28/02/12 15:13, Martin wrote:
> On 28/02/12 08:50, Jason Irwin wrote:
[---]
>>> 6am isn't really a good time, I'm sure the family will be super happy
>>> when I'm bashing away on my Model M replica first thing.
>
> Can we make it an NLUG event? ;-)
>
> A RaspberryPi at Dawn!
> http://nlug.ml1.co.uk/event/a-raspberrypi-at-dawn

We'll have to have a RasPi bash when they roll in!

>> My understanding is that "Ride of the Valkyries" played at 11 boosts
>> Internet speeds. :)
>
> Really? There's an excellent youtube of that really upsetting the
> Japanese whalers one year as they were sailing out of the Antarctic
> whale sanctuary...

For the most surreal real-life nautical goings on that I've seen, see:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyhM5gWCj_o

>> And there's that KDE-running tablet coming out (Spark?).  Their
>> pre-orders are full AIUI, but that could mean a future for it too.
>
> Not heard of that one.
>
> As a comparison to the RasPi, there is such as:
>
> Sumvision Cyclone 7" Android 2.3 Capacitive Touch Tablet 4GB Internal
> Storage 1.2GB CPU
> http://www.saverstore.com/product/20216830/Sumvision-Cyclone-7-Android-23-Capacitive-Touch-Tablet-4GB-Internal-Storage-12GB-CPU-
>
> £95.99 inc VAT

As a more direct comparison, note this one:

Linux PC-in-a-stick to cost coders £139
http://www.reghardware.com/2012/02/28/fxi_technologies_offers_cotton_candy_linux_pc_on_a_stick/

"... an 80mm long unit with a USB jack at one end and an HDMI connector
at t'other. In between, you'll find a Micro SD card slot to equip the
CStick with storage, and a micro USB port.

Inside sits a Samsung 1.2GHz ARM Cortex A9-class processor and 1GB of
memory. The on-board chippery adds Bluetooth 2.1 for peripherals and -
you'll use the USB port for power - and 2.4GHz 802.11n Wi-Fi for
networking."

Similar sort of format to the earlier versions of the RasPi but much
more capable... And expensive...

Has a development race been spurred even before the first widely
available batch?!

> Good luck to all at dawn!

A little less than 11 hours to go!

martin at ml1.co.uk