[Nottingham] Bletchley Park Visit - now with actual date!

Duncan notlug at pendinas.org.uk
Mon Jul 30 21:40:16 UTC 2012

On 29/07/12 23:55, Nick Leverton wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 12:13:19PM +0100, Jason Irwin wrote:
>> The chosen date: Sunday 9th September
>>
>> Mode of transport: At the moment is is personal automocraptions, but we
>> could look into a minibus if numbers warrant and we can get one cheap.
>> If we're taking our own vehicles, we can just meet-up at a services or
>> Bletchley itself.  If we go by minibus, the driver will need addresses
>> and we can sort a pick-up/drop-off route.
>
> I'm definitely interested in visiting the computing museum !  I have
> lost the start of this thread so am not sure whether that or a general
> BP visit is mooted.  I think you can sometimes get a fuller tour of the
> computing section if you let them know in advance.  If we are lucky they
> may turn on machines that some of us worked on in our youth (providing
> they are working !)
> http://www.tnmoc.org/news/current-projects/icl-system-25-restoration-during-2012

Given the interest in the museum; Eric Foxley[1] amassed an appreciable
collection of old computers and parts which he donated to the museum at
Bletchley.  He lives locally and is willing to give a talk on old computers
and his former collection if people are interested.  Let me know if you are.

[1] http://www.chezfred.org.uk/University/ComputerXHistory/index.htm

Have fun,
Duncan