[Nottingham] New Site

David Aldred davidaldred at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 13:48:15 UTC 2012

How picky do you want me to be?  :-)

*Technical / layout:*

   - *Heading structure*: the home page has no H3 (whereas others do), but
   does have an H4.
   - The *Free Software Foundation 'widget*' looks rather odd hanging below
   the left hand side of the page there - to be honest it looks as though it
   was meant to be somewhere else and the CSS went wrong!
   - *Dropdown Menus* don't contain the main page of each category - so if
   you're hovering over the menu bar, there's no visible link for 'The Basics,
   Part 1' for example.  OK, you actually get there by clicking 'The Basics',
   but that's making the user think about the UI (and the web UX design mantra
   is 'don't make the user think' - you want them to think about your message,
   not your layout).
   - *Animated GIF* (the blue ribbon thing) will distract the eye from the
   text for some users.   Not that big a problem as long as it's kept to one
   animation, I guess.

*Content:*
*Home Page:*

   - If you're trying to get people interested, it's better to state the
   problem and how to solve it, rather than describing it in terms of your
   site's key aims.   I'm not interested in *your* aims: I'm interested in
   why it might be useful to *me*.   Using headings like 'The Problem',
   'The Solution' might help.
   - The Fedora Tux image, which is linked to, um, the Fedora Tux image,
   seems redundant.
   - "For Windows you have to install click here"?

*Links:*

   - If people read the site right-to left on the menu (which they may well
   do), you're presenting a list of links with little explanation of what (for
   example) a Public Key Server is, before you've said why they might be of
   interest.   Probably better to have the links page near the end of the
   navigation.  The same applies to the *contact* page.

*Content Generally*

   - I'd say the content could be better structured.   For example,
   information about Privacy Guard is on the Books page; Some content about
   software is also on the Books page; there's some on the home page too.
    Isn't software likely to be a focus of visitors to a website
   about computer-based security?
   - There's a distinct sense of the rant in places, which will put people
   off.  For example, I Iike to have a government - but you;re labelling
   people like me as probably hostile  (under Books).   Is this intended to be
   an anarchist-focussed site?
   - What about Mac users?  Or Android users, or iOS users, or BBOS users?
     Your home page specifically talks about Linux and Windows, as though they
   were the only games in town.  If anything, encryption from
   mobile devices is even more important...
   - It also needs a read through for grammar and spelling - there are a
   few slips there.  (Actually, even your site name - 'All things
   Cryptographically' should be a cryptographical site about everything.  You
   probably mean 'All things Cryptographical').

Hope this helps.  I'm picky on websites because it's my job!

David Aldred