[Nottingham] Opinions on Zinio?

Dan Caseley dan at caseley.me.uk
Mon Mar 5 14:03:15 UTC 2012

Howdy all,

I'm pondering the switch to digital-only Linux Format with Zinio
(here<http://gb.zinio.com/browse/publications/index.jsp?sch=true&productId=500608941>
).
I know the subscription comes with access to the PDF back-catalogue, but
I'm forever struggling with the guilt of having something printed that I'll
only recycle, and getting the cover disks made that I hardly ever use.
On the flip-side, Zinio is proprietary, they have Adobe AIR based clients
for Web, Windows & OSX (and possibly Linux), as well as apps for iOS and
Android.

I'm wondering if anyone's already used / considered this service and what
their thoughts were? Also, any direct experience of how arduous /
successful the client installation is would be great - WineHQ only has info
on v3 (current is v4).
I like the lower impact, but I'm wary of purchasing a license to read the
content only through their system, a la Kindle.

Thanks,

Dan