[Nottingham] Negative in the freedom dimension!

Jason Irwin jasonirwin73 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 09:45:02 UTC 2012

I listen to a lot of podcasts and I do mean A LOT (37 at current count).
 The hamsters aren't much for conversation and hearing human voices
stops me from going even more mental.  At the last Blue Moon Rory and I
were chatting and he suggested I should give a list of what I listen to.

This is not that list, but it is about one of the podcasts:
he Linux Action Show
(http://www.jupiterbroadcasting.com/show/linuxactionshow/).
LAS is very USA-ian.  *Very*.  They also love GoDaddy.  There are two
presenters, Chris Fisher and Bryan Lunduke; Chris (darker hair,
face-fur) is pretty good and the more erudite of the two.
Bryan...well...I don't want to get sued for a libel.  Suffice to say I
thought the show was much better when he was on sabbatical.

Anyhoo, they just had their 200th episode and briefly re-branded to The
GNU/Linux Action Show as RMS was on.  The interview started well enough
and rather jokey around the whole "Linux" "GNU/Linux" thing but went
downhill rapidly.  This chiefly involved Bryan coming up with stupid
examples and totally failing to understand RMS's point "If I don't write
proprietary software, my daughter will starve; do you want my daughter
to starve, Richard?"

This show generated a lot of e-mails and their 201st show was a going
over of what RMS had said, why Bryan was right and RMS was wrong
(including the "fact" that RMS re-defined the English language to suit
his own needs).

Despite how utterly woeful and shambolic the interview and analysis was,
one rather surprising fact popped out; the FSF (and thus RMS) is
supported by money from proprietary software developers.  So if profit
from proprietary software is used to promote the FSF, does this not mean
RMS is being a tad hypocritical in accepting such monies?

Of course, Bryan claims to love freedom yet accepts money from GoDaddy.
 I guess it takes one to know one. :)

You can find show 200 here:
	Video:
http://www.jupiterbroadcasting.com/17822/richard-stallman-gnulas-s20e10/
	Audio: http://traffic.libsyn.com/jnite/LinuxActionShowEP200-OGG.ogg

And show 201 here:
	Video:
http://www.jupiterbroadcasting.com/18071/bryan-hates-freedom-las-s21e01/
	Audio: http://traffic.libsyn.com/jnite/LinuxActionShowEP201-OGG.ogg

Top-tip: have your media controls to hand so you can skip past all the
GoDaddy cruft.

--
Jason Irwin