[Nottingham] vavai.com (Was: no subject)

david at gbenet.com david at gbenet.com
Wed Mar 21 15:40:43 UTC 2012

On 21/03/12 14:55, Martin wrote:
> On 21/03/12 08:26, david at gbenet.com wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I've got 64 bit Mint Linux and whilst searching for a 64 bit
>> BitDefender-Antivirus I stumbled on this site server.vavai.com -
>> it's so slow you could go on 2 week holiday but it's got an amazing
>> amount of Linux distros and applications. As an example of how slow
>> it can get -
>>
>> http://server.vavai.com/BitDefender-Antivirus-Scanner-7.6-4-linux-gcc4x.amd64.deb.run
>>
>>  has thus far taken 19 hours 40 mins to download...
>
> Phew! Quite a site on:
>
> http://vavai.com/
>
> Not sure if that's a company site or just an extensive personal blog!
> And what language is that in?!
>
> Whatever, there's certainly a fondness for all things Linux there :-)
>

> And "anti-virus" on Linux?... You checking for Windows malware?
>
> Cheers,
> Martin

Hi Martin,

It's amazing what's on  there - past distros and all! At first I thought Italy but then a
Whois showed:

Administrative Contact:
Crescenzi, Joe  DomainAdmin at CouponPages.Com
CouponPages.Com
28 Shepard Avenue
Staten Island, New York 10314
United States
+1.2125376263      Fax --

He's not running a server out of his bedroom via a 9600 baud modem - so I wonder why the
connection speed was so slow. But all things for the Linux user!!

Am I getting paranoid in my old age? In  the 20 or so years of Linux not a single virus.
Then 15 years of IBM's OS/2 not a single virus. But for the odd 2 or 3 friends that run
Windoze I get the odd phishing or virus. BTW ClamAV even suggests that files normally found
on your system contain a virus ............... so I never quite trusted what it would say.

How you getting on with encryption?

Cheers!

David

- --
“See the sanity of the man! No gods, no angels, no demons, no body. Nothing of the kind.
Stern, sane,every brain-cell perfect and complete even at the moment of death. No delusion.”