[Nottingham] vavai.com (Was: no subject)

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Wed Mar 21 17:00:59 UTC 2012

On 21/03/12 15:40, david at gbenet.com wrote:
> On 21/03/12 14:55, Martin wrote:
>> On 21/03/12 08:26, david at gbenet.com wrote:
[...]
>> Phew! Quite a site on:
>
>> http://vavai.com/
>
>> Not sure if that's a company site or just an extensive personal
>> blog! And what language is that in?!
>
>> Whatever, there's certainly a fondness for all things Linux there
>> :-)
>

>> And "anti-virus" on Linux?... You checking for Windows malware?
>
>> Cheers, Martin
>
> Hi Martin,
>
> It's amazing what's on  there - past distros and all! At first I
> thought Italy but then a Whois showed:
>
> Administrative Contact: Crescenzi, Joe
> DomainAdmin at CouponPages.Com CouponPages.Com
[...]

Hey! It's not good to show off personal details out in the clear on
public maillists...

> Am I getting paranoid in my old age? In  the 20 or so years of
> Linux not a single virus. Then 15 years of IBM's OS/2 not a single
> virus. But for the odd 2 or 3 friends that run Windoze I get the
> odd phishing or virus. BTW ClamAV even suggests that files normally
> found on your system contain a virus ............... so I never
> quite trusted what it would say.

Unfortunately, a certain dinosaur in the world of computing has badly
mis-educated the public about expectations and security for computer
systems... To my mind, criminally so... The hard part is to re-educate
the public that computers can simply work reliably and securely and be
easy to use, simply. But we digress...

> How you getting on with encryption?

Works fine. However, I do agree with Jason that the signing system
needs packaging in a more friendly way and with greater consistency
for the package names. Then again, that is a bug for the packagers to
pick up for whichever distros...

- --
Martin Lomas
martin at ml1.co.uk