[Nottingham] the demise of gnome-3

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Tue May 1 18:06:54 UTC 2012

On 01/05/12 18:28, Joshua Lock wrote:
[---]
> I understand that many, many folks don't like GNOME3 but I am ashamed by
> the proliferation of FUD and shameless bashing.
>
> Further, everything you've stated can't be done in GNOME 3 in fact can,
> at least in the case where you haven't confused distribution choices
> with the desktop environment. I've used GNOME3 for the past year and do
> pretty much all of those things daily.

Very good points. Especially the "confused distribution choices with the
desktop environment."

Particular distros do focus on support for a 'preferred' desktop for
that particular distro. However, you should be able to install any
desktop environment you like on any distro. I guess some may be easier
than others for that.

I think the main issue is that of seeing a very different way of doing
things.

So... Do we need unchanging 'retro' distros that are only ever updated
to accommodate the *same* functionality but for whatever new hardware
keeps on popping up?

Myself... I've been too busy to even notice the details of such as
Gnome3 or Unity or HUD. I just seamlessly use whatever is there!

I have had the new ROSA application selection display hit me in the face
and find it to be rather cumbersome and slow as compared to the old well
tried and known system of cascading popup menus. Multiple clicks to
navigate hierarchies of applications is rather irksome compared to
smoothly dragging the cursor through a compact tree popup selection.

And then this is all Open Source so we have a choice and freedom to
change that!

Is this all more a question of "accessibility"?

-    Martin Lomas    - OpenPGP (GPG/PGP) Public Key: 0xCEE1D3B7
- martin @ ml1 co uk - Import from   hkp://subkeys.pgp.net   or
- ------------------ - http:// ml1 .co .uk/martin_ml1_co_uk.gpg