[Nottingham] the demise of gnome-3

Jason Irwin jasonirwin73 at gmail.com
Wed May 2 17:16:15 UTC 2012

On 01/05/12 18:28, Joshua Lock wrote:
> I understand that many, many folks don't like GNOME3 but I am ashamed by
> the proliferation of FUD and shameless bashing.

I utterly despise Gnome3, and I detest that abortion of an interface
called "Unity" with a passion.  I hate them both more than you can
imagine.  But I have never used them from more that 30 mins.  Catch my
drift?

I hated the shift to the Windows NT GUI from the old Program Manager
one, I hated the shift to 95, then to Windows7.  Once I got use to them
however, there were aspects I like (there were some I still detested).
I can guess there are things in Gnome3 and Unity I will like (and
detest) but the great advantage is, they are not the only game in town.
 XFCE, LXDE etc etc

I am in broad agreement with Joshua. If you don't like something don't
use it and move on.  Life is too short (although a rant is fun).  Mint
with Cinnamon and MATE offer popular alternatives (and I selected Linux
Mint 12 recently as it seemed to be the most "Windows like" for how the
user used their PC, even though it is Gnome3).

The only failing that can be point at Gnome3 and Unity with can real
credence is that they are geared towards touch/distance and some of the
idioms they use are a bit "clunky" on a traditional desktop.  To make
any real value judgement on them I think you'd have to use them solidly
for a few weeks and be prepared to adapt workflow.

Jason