[Nottingham] hplip what' wrong?

david at gbenet.com david at gbenet.com
Wed May 2 12:41:38 UTC 2012

On 01/05/12 19:17, Doctors Net (Main Email Account) wrote:
>  I set up a wireless c7200 on openSUSE 12.1 using hp-setup. It launches a GUI and, apart
> from manually specifying its address in the advanced setting box, it worked fine. SUSE in
> its printer install in fact installs this and makes you use it IIRC. I can't find any
> command line tool though
>
> Iain Lennon
> --Sent from my HP TouchPad
> On 1 May 2012 16:56, david at gbenet.com <david at gbenet.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have an HP Photosmart C4780 - a wireless printer. In the good old days prior to 2009 you
> could type at a terminal hplip. Then the device manager would run and you could install your
> HP wireless printer.
>
> Now you can install the funky but entirely useless graphical user interface. I say entirely
> useless for good reason. Every version of Ubuntu and every version of opensuse have this
> graphical useless interface. Sure you can plug in your usb cable and you must leave it in -
> for without it you have no printer. That's right Ubuntu and opensuse do not support HP
> Wireless printers.
>
> I downloaded from HP their latest set of drivers (hplip-3.12.4.run) and all I thought was
> well - and I decided via my terminal (having connected to the wireless network and when
> prompted to take out my usb - only to find no wireless printer) and typed hplip - no file
> found.
>
> So I thought perhaps not to install the graphical user interface. That did not work either.
> So I gave up with opensuse-LXDE - but I may go back as their is no way to log on as root in
> the latest Ubuntu which is why I say ALL Linux Distros are basically crap now. Anyway I am
> still persisting with the latest crap from Ubuntu by installing and older version of hplip
> but have got the following warning:
>
> warning: There are 7 missing REQUIRED dependencies.
> note: Installation of dependencies requires an active internet connection.
> warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency: gcc (gcc - GNU Project C and C++ Compiler)
> warning: This installer cannot install 'gcc' for your distro/OS and/or version.
> error: Installation cannot continue without this dependency. Please manually install this
> dependency and re-run this installer.
>
> So I have installed the dependencies - so have another go! And get:
> warning: There are 6 missing REQUIRED dependencies.
> note: Installation of dependencies requires an active internet connection.
> warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency: python-devel (Python devel - Python development files)
> warning: This installer cannot install 'python-devel' for your distro/OS and/or version.
> error: Installation cannot continue without this dependency. Please manually install this
> dependency and re-run this installed
>
> So now I install 119 files ....... and wait. Oh and another thing there's no scroll bar with
> the terminal - the more I find what's wrong with Ubuntu the more I think that Microsoft has
> [...]
Hi Ian,

My printer is set to 192.168.1.72 - having spent 4 days with opensuse I can only conclude
that there is no support for my HP Photosmart C4780 wireless printer. The HP set up
programme recognises that I have a temporary usb device and identifies the printer correctly
but when you unplug the usb device you have lost your printer.

The default utilities in YAST are useless - being unable to find  my printer - even when I
tell it where is and give the correct name. No Cups server will  find my printer. Unless I
plug in the usb cable. So closedsuse does not support my printer - and neither does
installing hplip-3.12.4.run - there are over 400 files you need to download and when you do
- - guess what? Still it  doe not work!!!!

So I'm well pissed off - opensuse 11.1 had no problems with my wireless printer so
upgrading is a real bad move!! And Ubuntu is just another load of crap!

David

- --
“See the sanity of the man! No gods, no angels, no demons, no body. Nothing of the
kind.Stern, sane,every brain-cell perfect and complete even at the moment of death. No
delusion.” https://linuxcounter.net/user/512854.html