[Nottingham] hplip what' wrong?

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Wed May 2 13:12:52 UTC 2012

On 02/05/12 13:41, david at gbenet.com wrote:
> On 01/05/12 19:17, Doctors Net (Main Email Account) wrote:
>> I set up a wireless c7200 on openSUSE 12.1 using hp-setup. It
>> launches a GUI and, apart from manually specifying its address in
>> the advanced setting box, it worked fine. SUSE in its printer
>> install in fact installs this and makes you use it IIRC. I can't
>> find any command line tool though

[---]

> My printer is set to 192.168.1.72 - having spent 4 days with
> opensuse I can only conclude that there is no support for my HP
> Photosmart C4780 wireless printer. The HP set up programme
> recognises that I have a temporary usb device and identifies the
> printer correctly but when you unplug the usb device you have lost
> your printer.
>
> The default utilities in YAST are useless - being unable to find
> my printer - even when I tell it where is and give the correct
> name. No Cups server will  find my printer. Unless I plug in the
> usb cable. ...

Mmmm... Sounds like a little sympathy and understanding is needed for
the software and the hardware arrangement.

So...

It *does work* but only when you have the usb lead plugged directly
into your PC?

And it *sometimes* works when you are using a WiFi dongle?

I'm an engineer and so I do not believe in "black magic" nor "black
box - keep out!" signs ;-)

Presumably you've had your wireless printer (or "multifunction"
device?) working previously somehow?

And "4 days" does sound rather frustrating! Perhaps this is where
software in general needs to report more user-friendly messages?...

Discuss further at tonight's meet?

- --
- -    Martin Lomas    - OpenPGP (GPG/PGP) Public Key: 0xCEE1D3B7
- - martin @ ml1 co uk - Import from   hkp://subkeys.pgp.net   or
- - ------------------ - http:// ml1 .co .uk/martin_ml1_co_uk.gpg