[Nottingham] hplip what' wrong?

Jason Irwin jasonirwin73 at gmail.com
Wed May 2 17:25:14 UTC 2012

On 02/05/12 13:41, david at gbenet.com wrote:
> My printer is set to 192.168.1.72 - having spent 4 days with opensuse I can only conclude
> that there is no support for my HP Photosmart C4780 wireless printer. The HP set up
> programme recognises that I have a temporary usb device and identifies the printer correctly
> but when you unplug the usb device you have lost your printer.

Naw, support is as good as it gets with HP.
http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/models/photosmart/photosmart_c4700_series.html

If you are there tonight, I can offer suggestions as there are a few
quick checks.  To be honest it sounds more like a network issue.  But I
could be wrong (often am).  Not clear if you are trying WiFi via a
router or direct PC-to-printer in some ad-hoc way.  If a router, make
sure the printer is getting assigned a fixed IP and then check is
http://<printer ip>. works (that should hit the embedded web server)

I have a wireless HP too, so I could test it myself later on.

J.