[Nottingham] Media Centre Linux distro?

Jason Irwin jasonirwin73 at gmail.com
Tue May 8 12:38:59 UTC 2012

On 08/05/12 13:07, Martin Kirk wrote:
> I believe as the law is written it states that you need a license if you
> *operate* equipment capable of receiving a broadcast signal, not if you
> *own* said equipment.
Yes, it's more like that.  And it gets odder.

Say you are round at a friend's house and they have no license but you
do.  You decide to watch the live news on your laptop.  All is going
well but you spot the battery is draining, so you plug it into the
mains.  Everything was OK up to that point.  When running on its
internal batteries the lappy was covered by your license, but as soon as
it was plugged-in, the premise needs a license.

There is zero change to use/cost, but that's how it works.

Now...homes of multiple occupancy...how many licenses to they need?  Got
a headache yet?

J.