[Nottingham] key-signing - what next - by the way

david at gbenet.com david at gbenet.com
Wed May 9 07:22:51 UTC 2012

On 09/05/12 08:10, James Moore wrote:
> On 09/05/2012 07:55, david at gbenet.com wrote:
>>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> It was my birthday anyhow:
>>
>> So the question is "I've got someone's key I've signed it - so how do I get it back to them?"
>>
>> The answer is - export to a file - which saves the public key you have signed to a file on
>> your hard disk - if like me you have a lot of keys to sign and save you can save as Martin
>> TJ Jason.
>>
>> Then you start your mail app and then you write an email to each recipient adding an
>> attachment their key. Then you can digitally sign and encrypt to that recipients public key.
>>
>> You can do the same thing with your public key if users are not able to find it on a key
>> server - you export to file then start an email add an attachment (your public key) and sign
>> and send.
>>
>> With openpgp - it has a function to import keys from a file attachment - or you can use a
>> programme like KGPG GPA Kleopatra - you open the file with a common editor select all the
>> txt and copy - then open the respective programme and open its editor and then paste and
>> then import - this will update your public key.
>>
>> Once you have done this a few times (how ever many signed your key) you can  upload it to a
>> public key server - all the above programmes will upload a highlighted public key to a key
>> server as long as you have internet access :)
>>
>> A little tip - if you have installed Linux for the first time then you will want to run this
>> command in a terminal gpg2 -k this will create the hidden folder .gnupg and will create 3
>> txt files as defaults.
>>
>> We ought to bring a Linux laptop so people can have a go at doing all this stuff.
>>
>> <snip>
> Certainly doable. I have a virtualbox appliance I can clone and make available. Question
> though: does gpg2 come with a stock OpenSuSE 11.4/KDE install?

By the way,

I tried to install 32 and 64 bit Debian but the iso were all corrupted that I downloaded -
failed to install GRUB boot loader - I tried LUbuntu but the gpg-agen failed to run or even
recognize I had a public key. So I am back to opensuse 11.4 with LXDE. Which is great!!

I have Fedora 16 with LXDE on another laptop - so when I put the screws back in another -
what shall I put on it? Opensuse 12 with KDE?

David

- --
“See the sanity of the man! No gods, no angels, no demons, no body. Nothing of the
kind.Stern, sane,every brain-cell perfect and complete even at the moment of death. No
delusion.” https://linuxcounter.net/user/512854.html