[Nottingham] key-signing - what next

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Wed May 9 16:04:40 UTC 2012

On 09/05/12 07:55, david at gbenet.com wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> It was my birthday anyhow:

Happy Birthday! Whenever it was exactly ;-) You should have put a call
out for a few beers :-)

And thanks for some good details below. Do you mind if I add them to
the NLUG website?

(Which reminds me... Must catch up with some signing...)

> So the question is "I've got someone's key I've signed it - so how
> do I get it back to them?"
>
> The answer is - export to a file - which saves the public key you
> have signed to a file on your hard disk - if like me you have a lot
> of keys to sign and save you can save as Martin TJ Jason.
>
> Then you start your mail app and then you write an email to each
> recipient adding an attachment their key. Then you can digitally
> sign and encrypt to that recipients public key.
>
> You can do the same thing with your public key if users are not
> able to find it on a key server - you export to file then start an
> email add an attachment (your public key) and sign and send.
>
> With openpgp - it has a function to import keys from a file
> attachment - or you can use a programme like KGPG GPA Kleopatra -
> you open the file with a common editor select all the txt and copy
> - then open the respective programme and open its editor and then
> paste and then import - this will update your public key.
>
> Once you have done this a few times (how ever many signed your key)
> you can  upload it to a public key server - all the above
> programmes will upload a highlighted public key to a key server as
> long as you have internet access :)
>
> A little tip - if you have installed Linux for the first time then
> you will want to run this command in a terminal gpg2 -k this will
> create the hidden folder .gnupg and will create 3 txt files as
> defaults.
>
> We ought to bring a Linux laptop so people can have a go at doing
> all this stuff.

Good idea and good to demonstrate, but the unwary should never enter
their passphrase onto unknown hardware...

Will also be interesting to see which distro you eventually settle
upon :-)

- --
- -    Martin Lomas    - OpenPGP (GPG/PGP) Public Key: 0xCEE1D3B7
- - martin @ ml1 co uk - Import from   hkp://subkeys.pgp.net   or
- - ------------------ - http:// ml1 .co .uk/martin_ml1_co_uk.gpg