[Nottingham] Is it theft to be live alive?

David Aldred davidaldred at gmail.com
Thu May 10 20:33:50 UTC 2012

David Aldred

On 10 May 2012 21:02, Martin <martin at ml1.co.uk> wrote:

> On 10/05/12 15:04, David Aldred wrote:
> [---]
> > (For example,  why is it that a mechanised surveillance
> > system is somehow 'not right'? ...
>
> Because that assumes everyone is guilty or is going to be caught out to
> be found guilty.
>
> Mass surveillance is also far too open to abuse and creates two tiers of
> "those that know" oppressing "those being watched".
>
> So who watches the watchers?

You snipped quite a bit of context there. didn't you?

The point I'm making  is that these reasons are valid only if underlying
them there is a reasoned basis for considering that humans have rights, and
that being presumed guilty is a Bad Thing.   I agree with both those; but I
can give reasons for it, and I suspect that our current society has lost
its reasons; without those reasons there is only the fierce
and somewhat inhuman economic logic of what is the cheapest way to get
things done.

> >     But now we really
> >     are getting away from the original topic.
> >

> >  Indeed.  But it can be fun :-)
>
> As any democratic discussion exercising hard won freedoms can enjoy...
> So far for now...

Yes; and we have a heritage which regards such freedoms as important and as
part of the nature of humanity.  But we are steadily losing the
reasoning behind that heritage, and with it risk losing the freedom too.

David