[Nottingham] How to partition a server for general home use?

Jason Irwin jasonirwin73 at gmail.com
Thu May 10 21:46:35 UTC 2012

On 10/05/12 22:01, Jason Irwin wrote:
> Normally I just do /, /home and swap and leave it at that.  I've also
> never used LVM before.
To kinda answer myself, this is what I have concocted.

USB (bootable)
	16GB Ext4
sda
	2TB for RAID
sdb
	2TB for RAID
md0 (the two above)
	2TB for LVM
LVM
	vg0
		lv0 - swap - 16GB Swap (my default has always been RAMx2)
		lv1 - temp - ?GB Ext4 mounted at /tmp
		lv2 - logs - ?GB Ext4 mounted at /var/logs
		lv3 - home - ?GB Ext4 mounted at /home
		lv4 - data - ?GB Ext4 mounted at /srv (I may not use this lv in the end)

Does that seem like a reasonable layout?
Should I mount the whole of /var in the LVM if it is going to get a lot
of writes?
Am I over-egging it using the USB for boot and more static system files?
Heck, is LVM over-egging it?  It doesn't seem to make re-sizing
partitions later on as easy as I had been led to believe, which was the
only reason I'd really considered it.

I'm now off to re-read what Martin has written about formatting SSDs etc
in case I do use the USB (the installer's partitioner, whilst very clear
and easy to follow, is a bit 'feature lite').

For any answers, please assume I'm an idiot and you won't be far wrong!

Thanks for letting me bore you all with this.

--
Jason Irwin