[Nottingham] changed distro, no printer

James Moore jmthelostpacket at googlemail.com
Sun May 13 01:49:02 UTC 2012

On 12/05/2012 22:39, Godfrey Nix wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have not been on the list for some time, but now I have a bit of a problem.
> What with health issues in the family I cannot afford to retire so have been
> very busy with paid work, caring for relatives and assisting charities.
>
> Anyway, work is making a move to adopt openSUSE so after careful planning to
> handle websites, email and databases I made the move on my laptop this week.
> All has gone really well - apart from one thing. My Epson D92 printer will not
> work.
>
> I have checked the driver I used previously (for a D68 as that is the closest
> I could find) and installed that, but no test page printed. Then I went to
> gutenprint site and downloaded gutenprint-5.2.7-1lsb3.2 and installed that but
> still I cannot get the printer to produce a page of output.
>
> Anyone offer advice? I am a tad low on money so do not want to have to cough
> up for another printer if I can get this working, especially as I just bought
> a pack of inks for the D92.
>
> Regards,
> Godfrey

Hi, Godfrey,

If you've got Turboprint installed, take it out - you don't need it
(PCLOS and others needed this for the D68 driver to work properly,
something in OpenSuSE 11.x's composition plays hell with Turboprint and
practically any Epson printer...). The only thing you should need (on
top of the usual like cups) is the Gutenprint D68 driver.

Regards,

Someone who had a D92 on PCLOS, switched to OpenSuSE 11.4 and had the
same fun.