[Nottingham] feel like a newbie all over again

Godfrey Nix godfrey at gnnix.co.uk
Mon May 14 20:51:19 UTC 2012

Hi,

This move I have made to openSUSE has left me feeling like an absolute
beginner. I seem unable to do even the simplest of things with YAST2 (what
packages are installed, what packages are available and not installed, what
files are in a package, what are its dependancies)

I feel at the moment to be going round in circles with the documentation.

I am putting myself through this as a company I know is thinking of moving its
Solaris servers to SUSE and I wanted a first look-see.

Basically, I now have a working machine, but without any printer (turboprint
is not installed, AFAIK, but see above) and unable to get either Oracle
virtualBox or vpnc-nortel compiled. I keep getting errors relating to pkg-
config-path not being defined and unable to locate gnutls.pc

Sadly until all this is sorted I am having to revert to a Win**** machine to
make connection with the office.

Any suggestions to help this old-timer?

Regards,
Godfrey

"The best-beloved of all things in My sight is Justice"