[Nottingham] feel like a newbie all over again

Roger Light roger at atchoo.org
Mon May 14 21:03:27 UTC 2012

Hi Godfrey,

> Basically, I now have a working machine, but without any printer (turboprint
> is not installed, AFAIK, but see above) and unable to get either Oracle
> virtualBox or vpnc-nortel compiled. I keep getting errors relating to pkg-
> config-path not being defined and unable to locate gnutls.pc

You should be able to get VirtualBox directly from the repositories
(unless you need a specific version of course). Packages can be
managed through yast of course, but I find the command line tool
zypper ("zypper search <package>" "zypper install <package>" to be
convenient.

For gnutls I suspect you haven't got the -devel package installed. The
-devel packages provide include files and anything else needed for
compiling against the relevant library. I think the package you'd want
is libgnutls-devel

If you're searching for packages outside the standard repositories,
http://software.opensuse.org/ offers searches of semi-official
non-standard repos as well as community repositories very much akin to
Ubuntu PPAs. Unfortunately it seems they've made the page less
friendly than it used to be.

Hope that helps a bit,

Roger