[Nottingham] Running Ubuntu at Nottingham Uni

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Tue May 22 11:38:12 UTC 2012

On 22/05/12 12:01, Rory Holland wrote:
> You should definately upgrade to the latest version 12.04. For a start,
> it's a "long-term support" release and so will get updates for much
> longer than 11.10.
>
> Also, there are many usability and technological improvements.
> Basically, it's the latest version, and it's the one you ought to be
> running. Upgrading is safe, and won't affect your dual-boot.
>
> On 22 May 2012 09:53, Louise Brown <Louise.Brown at nottingham.ac.uk
> <mailto:Louise.Brown at nottingham.ac.uk>> wrote:
>
>     Hi Martin and Mike,____
>
>     __ __
>
>     Thanks very much!  My new computer’s ubuntu is installing updates as
>     I write.  ____
>
>     __ __
>
>     One more question – it also tells me that a new release 12.04 LTS is
>     available.  Is it preferable to upgrade?  If I hit the upgrade
>     button will it just sort itself out?...

I'd also go along with the advice to upgrade.

If you were to be trying to jump up multiple versions, or if you had a
heavily customised system, or just something 'quirky', then an 'upgrade'
can be problematic. Hence Jason's "nuke + pave" route.

For a clean install and upgrading to the next version, you should be fine.

As always, please follow the usual advice and good practice of making
sure you back up everything (or at least all your home data) FIRST.

Let us know how you get along,

-    Martin Lomas    - OpenPGP (GPG/PGP) Public Key: 0xCEE1D3B7
- martin @ ml1 co uk - Import from   hkp://subkeys.pgp.net   or
- ------------------ - http:// ml1 .co .uk/martin_ml1_co_uk.gpg