[Nottingham] Hot Pi?

Jason Irwin jasonirwin73 at gmail.com
Tue May 22 14:17:56 UTC 2012

On 22/05/12 14:43, Rory Holland wrote:
>   * A caching DNS server for faster DNS lookups on the LAN
This, hard.  The speed difference is quite surprising and you can splat
the ad-networks across your entire LAN.  Currently I use dnsmasq as it
was easy for my small brain to set-up.  bind9 is probably more meaty.
Heck, the RPi could maybe run Privoxy too.

>   * A NAS device so my girlfriend and I can share music and video
>     libraries without duplication
Would it really work well as a NAS?  I thought one of the requirements
for a NAS was oddles of memory (although I think that is usually a
function of the filesystem, e.g. |ZFS).

Other things to do with it?  Install Sauerbraten, Open Railroad Tycoon,
A.N.Other open game.
Add a battery (maybe even solar?)
Add a wifi dongle.
Run ad-hox LAN games in the park.