[Nottingham] Running Ubuntu at Nottingham Uni

david at gbenet.com david at gbenet.com
Thu May 24 20:14:04 UTC 2012

On 24/05/12 18:49, Martin wrote:
> On 24/05/12 18:37, David Aldred wrote:
>>
>> On 24 May 2012 18:22, Martin wrote:
>>
>>     > The University systems have to evolve for whatever new tech and new
>>     > market place there is in the real world, each year. We shouldn't be
>>     > languishing back in the days of IE6! If that must kept with, then IE6
>>     > support should have it's own special support budget whilst the rest of
>>     > the department and the rest of the world move on to better things.
>>
>> The University isn't using IE6: the NHS is.    If your website
>> (containing information important to a research project) doesn't work
>> on the only system a research collaborator can use, you cease to get the
>> opportunity to work with them.  And the NHS is a rather important
>> research partner for a University with a medical school.
>>
>> And users in China are.  We get a lot of students from China, both here
>> and on our China campus, and analytics tell us a high proportion of
>> users in China continue to use IE6.   Telling them to bugger
>> off because they don't use updated, legal, expensive copies of Windows,
>> or an open source alternative, at home is not likely to be a good way of
>> continuing to recruit students.
>>
>> Sorry, guys, but whilst it might be nice to roll out the world
>> dictatorship and make all the nasty IE6 stuff magically go away with
>> forced upgrades to the latest Chrome, it's not practical politics
>> (though China could actually probably do it, but I don't think it's
>> their government's priority).
>
> The 'dictatorship' is on the proprietary lock-in and the costs of
> licenses...
>
> Hence, the rider:
>
> "If that must be kept with, then IE6 support should have it's own
> special support budget whilst the rest of the department and the rest of
> the world move on to better things."
>
> Just a thought... Is the "mobile devices" view of websites compatible
> with IE6 capabilities? ;-)
>
> Or... Offer a University guided Linux distro rollout?
>

> Good discussion...
>
> Now, how to stir the University IT?...
>
> Cheers,
> Martin
>

> ps: Thanks for fixing the quoting

IE6 for the Chinese is a copy of the real thing as much as any western-based software. They
have no Google their gov banned it and their "internet is very heavily monitored. They live
in a world based on replicas - not the real thing itself - and you have to have really rich
parents to get any kind of scholarship to a Western country.

David

- --
“See the sanity of the man! No gods, no angels, no demons, no body. Nothing of the
kind.Stern, sane,every brain-cell perfect and complete even at the moment of death. No
delusion.” https://linuxcounter.net/user/512854.html - http://gbenet.com