[Nottingham] feel like a newbie all over again

Godfrey Nix godfrey at gnnix.co.uk
Thu May 24 20:24:34 UTC 2012

On Monday, May 14, 2012 10:03:20 PM Roger Light wrote:
> Hi Godfrey,
>
> > Basically, I now have a working machine, but without any printer
> > (turboprint is not installed, AFAIK, but see above) and unable to get
> > either Oracle virtualBox or vpnc-nortel compiled. I keep getting errors
> > relating to pkg- config-path not being defined and unable to locate
> > gnutls.pc
>
> You should be able to get VirtualBox directly from the repositories
> (unless you need a specific version of course). Packages can be
> managed through yast of course, but I find the command line tool
> zypper ("zypper search <package>" "zypper install <package>" to be
> convenient.
>
> For gnutls I suspect you haven't got the -devel package installed. The
> -devel packages provide include files and anything else needed for
> compiling against the relevant library. I think the package you'd want
> is libgnutls-devel
>
> If you're searching for packages outside the standard repositories,
> http://software.opensuse.org/ offers searches of semi-official
> non-standard repos as well as community repositories very much akin to
> Ubuntu PPAs. Unfortunately it seems they've made the page less
> friendly than it used to be.
>
> Hope that helps a bit,
>
> Roger

Well finally I have my printer working and VirtualBox also. :)

Effectively I had to reinstall the VirtualBox package and delete some of the
settings of the shared devices that were in my definition file for the 'guest'
operating system. Then I installed the VB extras which gave me back the
ability to handle shared devices and remapped them. All this because
installing OpenSUSE had of course, wiped out all the original files in the
root partition (I kept /home because of all my work there)

And as for getting the printer working, how about the magic incantation -
"ln -s /usr/lib/libpng.so /usr/lib/libpng.so.3" ?!?
All because the printer driver was explicitly looking for libpng.so.3 and the
installed file was libpng.so ( I spotted the missing file listed amongst the
messages in the /var/log/cups/error-log fille)

So, now I am a happy bunny. (Would be even better if I had not sprained my
back the other day trying to lay a new driveway)

Regards,
Godfrey