[Nottingham] For info Fedora 17 out today

Roger Light roger at atchoo.org
Tue May 29 16:04:00 UTC 2012

On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 4:50 PM, Matthew Tompsett <matthewbpt at gmail.com> wrote:

> This is absolute rubbish. All major allow the installation of third
> party packages and repositories, and they all have development
> environments available which allow you to compile and install software
> from source. I see no signs that Linux distros will go the approved
> apps only route... As for less choice in installable software, I'll
> point you to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Linux_distributions#Package_management_and_installation
> which shows the number of packages available in different
> distributions; Ubuntu, Fedora and openSUSE are pretty high on the
> list, and I'll think you'll find the number increases with every
> release.

FWIW, Debian appears to be massively under represented there.
http://popcon.debian.org/ shows statistics for Debian as reported back
by users and gives ~63000 binary packages installed for i386. This
does include packages users may have built themselves as well as
packages that may no longer be available, but it's still pretty
staggering.

Cheers,

Roger