[Nottingham] Running Ubuntu at Nottingham Uni

david at gbenet.com david at gbenet.com
Wed May 30 17:51:42 UTC 2012

On 30/05/12 16:55, ForkBombFluf wrote:
> On Thu, 24 May 2012, david at gbenet.com wrote:
>
>> Afternoon Stef,
>
> Hi David,
>
>> I am quite surprised that there is no Linux support. That all your IT staff are Microsoft
>> Engineers - how on earth did they get their degrees?
>
> Errm.... I'm pretty sure I said a "majority in IS" are hired for their Windows proficiency,
> not all, and then proceeded to use the IS Support person in Maths person as a prime example
> of one who isn't.
>
> Chris Booth obviously won't have been hired to look after the HPC as a "Microsoft Engineer"
> either. ;-)
>
>> As you point out the majority of science departments need Linux - space research to
>> archaeology - what happens when these departments have a "problem?" I suspect that all
>> their staff have an IT Degree and not one given to them by Microsoft!
>
> There are still those within the various departments and research groups who have expertise
> that can be drawn on in a lot of cases.  The MR Centre, for example, is heavily UNIX/Linux
> depedent but has very capable people in-house managing those systems.  Information Services
> still provides and looks after the network infrastructure that their kit plugs into though,
> as well as being responsible for most University wide services, and most PCs on desks.  The
> division of labor between IS and individual departments can be a bizarre battlefront at
> times too, as you might imagine.
>
>> Anyway - for a uni not to support Linux is real short sighted!
>
> I agree in pirinciple, but as I said before, the amount of support that John Q. Desktop user
> gets for linux (in reality) varies greatly depending on where in the University you are and
> who your job lands with in SupportWorks.
>
> If you're in Maths/Physics/Astronomy for example, you're laughing.  If you're elsewhere and
> having trouble getting someone to let you put Linux on, your best bet is to inform your
> support bod about the CentOS PXE install available from Maths and Physics.  Proxies (amongst
> many other things) will already be configured, and the security of the system has been
> looked after (DenyHosts or equivalent already installed for example), so it's much less of a
> headache for everyone, including you.
>
> Cheers,
>
> -Stef

Hello Stef,

Thinking about it - though there is some planning at the beginning - the growth of computer
usage is organic. Am sure that the scientific community within the university would have a
high degree of expertise. Whereas the administration - would be all Windows.

When I was at university all we had to worry about was typewriter ribbon ha! ha! When I
think of the revolution - not demo's kids glued to their mobile phones - with apps that do
everything apart from make the coffee the mind boggles.

Be Happy

David

- --
“See the sanity of the man! No gods, no angels, no demons, no body. Nothing of the
kind.Stern, sane,every brain-cell perfect and complete even at the moment of death. No
delusion.” https://linuxcounter.net/user/512854.html - http://gbenet.com