[Nottingham] Apple Macs (and WiFi interference)

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Wed Nov 14 20:48:22 UTC 2012

Oh no... Jason having a Bad Day...

First the Skype non-security fubar hits the press and makes a mess of
the fans...

Skype IDs hijackable by ANY FOOL who knows your email address
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/11/14/skype_disables_password_reset_bug/

And now:

On 14/11/12 20:15, Jason Irwin wrote:
> This is a rant, I warn you.  And some of it is even true.
>
> The worst install mechanism:
> 	Will it go into "Applications" or won't it?
> 	Will it vomit garbage all the place and mean opening 1 billion Finder
> windows?
[---]
>  How very not bloody helpful.
[---]
> And people buy apple for the "just works design"*?  My arse.
>
> Second worst networking tools.
> 	Which DNS will it use now?
> 	No one knows!  Least of all you!
>
> One of the worst websites it has ever been my misfortune to use.
> 	No, I will not list the download you are after; but I will list the
[---]
> provide a working RDP client!
[---]

That all?!

I still prefer ssh, occasionally with a -X or -Y, and usually with a -C
as appropriate. Just like a good old faithful teddy bear, you know where
your bits are with ssh! ;-)

(Even Apple machines have ssh... ;-) )

And that there leads onto a very irksome point of deliberate system
obfuscation in the name of supposedly keeping things hidden and simple
to dumb down the users yet further and yet Market expensive simplicity
despite an ever increasing bloat of feature riches.

Contradictions there somewhere?...

Rants aside, we do seem to be be descending into ever greater system
complexity and fragility which is getting ever further removed from the
KISS nuclear-bomb robustness of the early DARPAnet...

Is this where the RaspberryPis overwhelm all users to save the Internet
and computing as it should be?! ;-)

> Now...why the hell is my WiFi so laggy...
>
> *This one was bought for the insane discount.

That's just conflict with your neighbour's WiFi and interference from:

EU standardises hamtagonistic powerline network tech
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/11/14/plt_standard/

"The second vote on EN50561-1, the EU standard for running Ethernet over
mains circuits, has passed..."

"... long opposed the standard, arguing that existing requirements that
no device generate undue radio interference should be applied to PLT
devices, which would make the vast majority of those in use today
illegal. ..."

Well... Those darn things are wide-spectrum broadcast transmitters after
all! Possibly even powerful enough to locally obliterate broadcast radio
and ADSL! The comments to that article are rather apt... I guess the PLT
manufacturers care little for interfering with other users, especially
so when denuding the profits of other suppliers...

On an unrelated note, I've had a surreal argument about the earthing for
a building and screened cat6a network cables... Unfortunately, not
helped by some of them snaking around at 90m or so :-(

It must be the moon and the antipodean eclipse!

-    Martin Lomas    - OpenPGP (GPG/PGP) Public Key: 0xCEE1D3B7
- martin @ ml1 co uk - Import from   hkp://subkeys.pgp.net   or
- ------------------ - http:// ml1 .co .uk/martin_ml1_co_uk.gpg