[Nottingham] HTC One S

Brian Pickford brian at brianpickford.co.uk
Tue Nov 20 12:55:22 UTC 2012

On 20 November 2012 12:38, Jason Irwin <jasonirwin73 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 20/11/12 12:13, Mike Cardwell wrote:
> > If your phone can do tethering, and is configured up to use a VPN for
> > all Internet traffic, then your provider has no way of telling if
> > you're tethering or not. Just saying ;)
> I actually thought there still was a way for them to detect tethering,
> something about how the phone makes the connection (can't find the link
> now, of course).
>
> At least the VPN will stop them sniffing my packets (oo-err) otherwise,
> even if the connection looks the same, a big of packet/header inspection
> and Robert is your mother's brother.
>
> There may or may not be a method for detecting tethering  I suspect that
there will be an acceptable use clause in the contract and the volume of
data will be the indicator. Plus taking on a contract with the intention of
breaking / circumventing it seems a bit shady.

I read on 'The Register' that giffgaff have had some stability issues.
Might be worth checking into.

I use 'three' for both of my daughter's smartphones because they will
happily block all 'out of plan' charges,similar data rates and costs on a
sim only basis.

I came by a work phone, HTC Desire that had been drop kicked across CDG
terminal three. Simple repair and bingo ... but before that I was looking
at one of these for youngest daughter:

http://www.gsmarena.com/zte_blade_iii-4983.php

Same sort of spec as my current HTC Desire and that has been fine for me.

As for the OS, I use cyanogenmod version 7 for compatibility.  Having used
Android and others from the start, I'd not be too worried about the latest
and greatest on this sort of device.

Cheers,

Brian