[Nottingham] “Talk is cheap. Show me the code.”

Jason Irwin jasonirwin73 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 11:06:37 UTC 2012

On 27/11/12 12:52, Andy White wrote:
> In essence, then, linux is running (being the kernel, the important part) the
> other stuff which you care about?  How is it that linux is not running vast
> swathes of the internet?
Below the kernel is the hardware.  To apply your argument further, we
might as well says Intel runs the Internet.

> What do you really object to in the article?
What I object to, I guess, is the idea that Linux does everything
including making bacon...but it doesn't.  It provides hardware access.
The applications do everything else and (for whatever reason) they are
continually overshadowed by the kernel.

Maybe RMS was contagious...is there an antidote?

Actually, is that an idea for a talk?  "Unsung heroes of GNU/Linux"?
Commands, tools, applications etc that are pretty essential but seem to
be largely ignored.
I'm not volunteering, I have nothing like the level of knowledge or
experience to pull that one off.

J.