[Nottingham] “Talk is cheap. Show me the code.”

ForkBombFluf fluf at freeshell.org
Wed Nov 28 14:32:49 UTC 2012

On Wed, 28 Nov 2012, Jason Irwin wrote:

> On 27/11/12 12:52, Andy White wrote:
>> In essence, then, linux is running (being the kernel, the important part) the
>> other stuff which you care about?  How is it that linux is not running vast
>> swathes of the internet?
> Below the kernel is the hardware.  To apply your argument further, we
> might as well says Intel runs the Internet.

So it does!  As well as Cisco and others.  And the electrons!  Everyone
forgets the poor, overworked electrons.

>> What do you really object to in the article?
> What I object to, I guess, is the idea that Linux does everything
> including making bacon...but it doesn't.  It provides hardware access.
> The applications do everything else and (for whatever reason) they are
> continually overshadowed by the kernel.
>
> Maybe RMS was contagious...is there an antidote?

RMS is just a figurehead of fundamentalism for nerds.  He scares me, to be
honest.

Linus is da bomb.  Sleeping with Linus might be an antidote.

(Hell, even if it just turns out to be a placebo I wouldn't mind giving it
a try!)

/me goes and crawls back under the carpet.

-Stef