[Nottingham] [Misc, OT, Humour] News Sensation! LXF Art Monkeys & Linus Reads Discworld!

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Sat Oct 6 16:41:12 UTC 2012

On 06/10/12 16:58, Jason Irwin wrote:
> On 06/10/12 01:14, Martin wrote:
>> It amazes me just where Terry Pratchett gets/got his wide ranging
>> insights from!
> Actually (from what I'm given to understand) Pterry thought he'd
> invented the word and was dead chuffed with his little self.  Then he
> found out it was a real word.  He commented that it must have lodged in
> his subconscious somewhere until the time was right.

I rather like how he has created his own language for Discworld with
such as "Hubwards" and "Rimwards" and "Cut-Mi-Own-Throat Dibbler" and
many other examples.

Especially neat is his "Turnwise" :-)

I guess our earthly civilisations were a little slow to realise that the
Earth was round and rotated... Let alone discovering Orbital stuff
(celestial or the group ;-) ).

Meanwhile, good stuff for being in print this month in LXF oncemore!
Could be interesting if they take up your idea. I especially liked the
snort comment. No surprise they didn't print that bit! :-p

Good stuff!

-    Martin Lomas    - OpenPGP (GPG/PGP) Public Key: 0xCEE1D3B7
- martin @ ml1 co uk - Import from   hkp://subkeys.pgp.net   or
- ------------------ - http:// ml1 .co .uk/martin_ml1_co_uk.gpg