[Nottingham] emails containing spaces

Nick Leverton nick at leverton.org
Wed Oct 17 22:50:20 UTC 2012

On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 08:57:42AM +0100, Jason Irwin wrote:
> > blah de blah the recipient system
> I refer the good sir to my first response on this matter:
> "A good rule of thumb: if you think you know how to validate an email
> address, then you probably don't know how to validate an email address!"
>
> It applies to me as well. :)

And to me too, I can never remember all the fiddly folding whitespace
stuff.  (sounds best said in a slartybartfast sort of accent).
Sounds like it's not needed for this task though fortunately :)

> >> More the gory details are in RFC-2822 if you feel brave.
> > RFC 5322 these days :-)
> I simply can't keep up with these pesky kids any more.  What was wrong
> with gopher, eh?

gopherspace still exists, I browse it occasionally !  I'm sure the RFCs
must be on there somewhere ...

> > You could take over rfc-ignorant.org, I hear they've given up the struggle
> > themselves ;-)
> Yeah, something along those lines.  Although I was thinking more about
> the basic usage (incorrect email/snail-mail address validation,
> OS/browser blocks etc).  Oh the fun and games I used to have trying
> enter a Scottish address.  Yeesh.
>
> I'd give out awards too.  Dress them up so they look totally awesome and
> see if the culprits could be tricked into putting a badge like "Most
> Creative Interpretation of RFC-5322 in the World!" on their site.  I may
> even have some that aren't sarcastic.
>
> Dreams, eh?

I think that sounds a perfect use of the site and that it was definitely
going to waste before.

Nick