[Nottingham] Two filesystem development gems...

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Sat Apr 27 14:50:15 UTC 2013

Folks,

Two little snippets for your geekie amusement...

Just noseying around as can be done in the open peer review world of
FLOSS and I've just had a good lunchtime giggle with these two gems for
btrfs development:

1:

http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.file-systems.btrfs/25312

#####
/me muses randomly about why we call them bugs when they are almost
always layered like onions.....
#####

When grubbing up bugs from multiple layers of software stacks, is that
called archaeology?! :-)

A new form of squashed bugs? ;-)

Or call them "occluded bugs" or "sub-bugs"? Or??

2:

http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.file-systems.xfs.general/52113

#####
xfstests 311: test fsync with dm flakey V3

This test sets up a dm flakey target and then runs my fsync tester I've
been using to verify btrfs's fsync() is working properly.  It will
create a dm flakey device, mount it, run my test, make the flakey device
start dropping writes, and then unmount the fs.  Then we mount it back
up and make sure the md5sums match and then run fsck on the device to
make sure we got a consistent fs.  I used the output from a run on BTRFS
since it's the only one that passes this test properly.  I verified each
test manually to make sure they were in fact valid files.  XFS and Ext4
both fail this test in one way or another.  Thanks,
#####

So... Deliberately lose a few disk writes and see if the filesystem
fsync can sort out the mess. Only btrfs passes the test!

Looks interesting...

(I've been trialling btrfs on various non-essential systems. Looks like
I'll soon be moving over to use btrfs on all new systems.)

-    Martin Lomas    - OpenPGP (GPG/PGP) Public Key: 0xCEE1D3B7
- martin @ ml1 co uk - Import from   hkp://subkeys.pgp.net   or
- ------------------ - http:// ml1 .co .uk/martin_ml1_co_uk.gpg