[Nottingham] A note to gmail users (and others)

Dave Luff daveluff at ntlworld.com
Fri Dec 13 19:14:55 UTC 2013

On 11/12/13 12:19, Martin wrote:
> Note that some ISPs use gmail for their email regardless of whether you
> might know or not...

Including virgin media / ex-ntlworld.

> LWN: A note to gmail users
> http://lwn.net/Articles/576335/
>
> "Google has, in its wisdom, decreed that email coming from lwn.net is
> spam and is no longer delivering it to gmail users. In typical fashion,
> there is no way to appeal such a ruling..."

Yes, I discovered after moving my personal email off ntlworld and onto
gmx.com that they also decree email from gmx.com to be spam as well.  A
cynic might suggest it's a deliberate ruse to lock in their own market
advantage.

> There's some good discussion in the comments but in essence, my reading
> is that if you fall foul of such anti-spam measures, then there is
> nothing you can usefully do as an individual other than reinvent
> yourself, or wait and pray to whatever deity...

It would be useful if an individual could "unspam" their own address
regardless of the status applied by default to the domain.  As it is, it
appears that all I can do is to tell anyone on google services to add me
to their address book, which then allows it through for them.

Cheers - Dave