[Nottingham] I2C -> RS232

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Thu Feb 7 18:29:07 UTC 2013

Folks,

I've just stumbled across the plethora of I2C devices available... All
very good except that I want to communicate with them from afar. The I2C
bus is good only for the short distance expected across a circuit board
and nearby.

Hence:

Any good easy cheap solutions for converting the I2C bus to the much
longer distance RS232 or some such?

My present plan is to press into service such as the RasPi for I2C ->
Ethernet although that seems to be a complete waste of capability.

Alternatively, there's the STM32F3DISCOVERY ARM devices that look good
and for less than the cost of an Arduino...

And then also... Anyone know if a Shrimp might be up to the task? (A
"minimal" Arduino...)

Or other ideas?

Anyone done anything like this?

-    Martin Lomas    - OpenPGP (GPG/PGP) Public Key: 0xCEE1D3B7
- martin @ ml1 co uk - Import from   hkp://subkeys.pgp.net   or
- ------------------ - http:// ml1 .co .uk/martin_ml1_co_uk.gpg